11 January 2008

Please Enjoy The Music While Your Train Is Arriving

The other night while I was transferring from tram to tram at the Hauptbahnhof, I de-boarded only to be greeted by loud sounds coming from somewhere. They soon changed from cacophonous sounds to music, so it didn't take me long to realize that all the loudspeakers were playing a weird variety from a violin to UFO sounds to crashes, and loudly. I could tell I wasn't the only surprised one--a few other people were looking around, smiling, and I enjoyed watching other people get off the trams, looking around confusedly. I could just imagine some kid having gotten into the public transportation control tower (is there such a thing?) and having a hay-day blasting whatever he could find.

Talking to one of my friends the next day, apparently the so-called music is played every night at 9, but I had never noticed it before, so I don't know whether to believe him. I'm pretty sure I've been there at 9 before. However, I wouldn't put it past the LVB, the public transpo system here in Leipzig. They have won an award for marketing and I'm not surprised anymore to watch movie ads or to hear about local public discussions about interesting social things while I'm sitting on the train. www.lvb.de

P.S. The train you see in the photo is the one that takes me to the institute, which I found out today is the old mission home. I foolishly have tried several times to beat the number 12 by going a station further so I don't have to wait as long, but I always end up watching it pull away.

P.S. again: I say "train" when I refer to the Strassenbahn in English, but it confuses people here. They think I'm leaving the city on one of the huge trains. Apparently they have been taught to say "tram" in English. I guess technically TRAX is a tram, but I got used to saying "train."

*UPDATE* I talked to another local, he said the music is culture, it's art.

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment