03 January 2011

Audrey Hepburn Silhouette Project

While at IKEA with friends last January, I saw an awesome black and white Audrey Hepburn silhouette. I liked the idea so much that I didn't forget about and when I found out I was to be giving my sister Heidi a Christmas present, I knew I wanted to try to duplicate it. I originally thought I would sketch it and then paint it with black acrylics, but I came up with a better plan. It was unfortunate that I couldn't find any square canvases, but I think it worked out just fine in the regular 16x20 format.

First, I lightened up a picture I had of it and made it enormous. Then, I split it into four sections on four pages and printed it out and taped it to the 16x20 canvas.

Audrey Hepburn Silhouette Canvas Project


Next, I used a fine-point permanent marker to trace all the details. This took forever and sacrificed quite a bit of wrist power . . . each line took about 15 layers before it went through the paper--I really should have found some bad quality paper.


Audrey Hepburn Silhouette Canvas Project Closeup

Finally, I used progressively bigger permanent markers to fill in the outlines. Whew, anyone in my room would have been high it stunk so bad. ;) But it sure looked cool. And I think my sister liked it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

What do you think?

Do you want to buy one from me? Go to my store here.
Photobucket
P.S. Enter my January giveaway here! (POST EDIT: CLOSED.)

11 comments:

  1. it's really good! reminds me of the napoleon dynamite post by designmom... it's good that it's on canvas (as opposed to a wall) so your sister can put it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this. SO cool. I tried to comment earlier but I think the comments were turned off? Man I wish you were in my family gift name draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome!!! Good work Michelle. You have inspired me to try this with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete