12 March 2013

Resources for Learning to Code and Opportunities to Teach Coding

Request: please share this page from my blog instead of the direct links to the docs. Here's the shortened link: http://bit.ly/learning-to-code-resources

Because of all the talking and emailing and blogging I've been doing about women learning to code, a lot of people have asked me how they can learn to code. I've made a hopefully-helpful spreadsheet, with the following tabs/sheets:

  • Coding Bootcamps
  • $ Online Learning
  • Free Online Learning
  • On-site Learning (or Volunteering)
  • Other Resources [Submit more coding resources below.]
  • About Me
Learning to Code Resources (Women-focused):




What TVs Are Really For photo 2013-11-01160803_zps69fbde91.jpg


And a lot of other people have asked me how they can help people (especially women) learning to code. The second spreadsheet includes:
Helping Women in Tech:



You can add to the list of learning-to-code resources by filling out this form:




You can join this list of people willing to help by filling out this form:




You can submit volunteering opportunities by filling out this form:




I'm sorry to all the people who have been waiting so patiently for this post; I was a little overwhelmed with my inbox and work. It's here now, never fear. Feel free to share this post. (And if you have anything to add or any questions, please fill out one of the forms below, tweet to me, or send me an email--firstnamelastname AT gmail.)

12 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! Thanks for putting this all together, I can't wait to dive in and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome - thanks for pulling it together. All this info could be it's very own website (hint, hint;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super awesome. +1 on it's own website :)

    I also wanted to let you know that Dev Bootcamp is now also in NYC and we offer an automatic $500 scholarship for women. We also have partnerships with Levo League and Girl Develop It for scholarships and are working on some grander plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca, I'm not really sure what you mean by "its own website" . . . but I definitely updated the spreadsheet with the info you provided. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant! I have been searching for such a consolidated spreadsheet for months. Cant wait to get started! Thank you Michelle for taking time off to help the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I hope it helps you as much as it helps me. I look at it often to figure something out myself! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Incredible aggregation of material. Many thanks for pulling it all together. I must ask however, did you consolidate any of the information above using any of the coding knowledge you learned from Hackbright or did you piece it together one by one? Regardless of the method, the list is beyond detailed and has so much value add and it is definitely making its way on my bookmark list. Second question, did you attend Hackbright before or after compiling this list? If after, how did you land on Hackbright as your decision with all the other options available? If before, do you think looking back it was the right choice seeing as how it looks like one of the most expensive options? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing those resources. Here I also found a list of places where to learn coding Hope this will also help your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your resource material. I'm ready to learn with no idea where to begin. At this point my goal is to learn as much as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd start with Command Line/Prompt and then do HTML/CSS and JavaScript. After that, try out Ruby or Python.

      Delete
  8. Good collection btw. I would also recommend to read http://frontendskills.blogspot.in/ blog. It provides tutorials, tips and helpful material which help you in getting skills about frontend development.

    ReplyDelete