03 May 2007

Old Ears Vs. Young Ears

You can still hear reasonably well and you can play this without my old fart colleagues hearing it which makes you feel kinda good.
The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 15.8kHz"

Apparently some kids made up these ringtones that only younguns can hear in reaction to some British dudes inventing an annoying buzzing sound to drive away younguns who hang out in areas where they are not welcome. Read about it here.

I listened to it online. I find it funny that the old guys who invented it think it sounds like mosquitos. They can't hear it, so they don't know that it just sounds like a constant swishy static, like someone saying, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for a really long time. I guess if I listen hard enough, I can hear a high-pitched part too. Anyway, I know the sound would bug me enough to keep walking, but I hate repetition like that. How funny. If you want to hear the sound without reading the article, click here.

I don't know how fair it is to cause pain to some people in public places. Read the comments at the bottom of that article, they're really interesting. Here's my favorite:

Rachel
I am ashamed of anyone on this site that thinks that this is a justifiable means. I am 22, have a degree, have never been drunk in streets, and am generally a 'model citizen'. They have recently installed one of these outside the shopping centre in Wimbledon, which is next to the station. Now, whenever I queue to get a ticket, I can hear it. Is that fair? It hurts my ears and makes me feel dizzy and sick. Also, the effect from it lasts even after I move away, I still feel ill for about 15 minutes afterwards. I see no reason why I should be subjected to this torture. They could play classical music or something to deter people without causing harm, but when a noise causes pain that should not be allowed. Even if only a small percentage of people are caused pain by this, it should not be allowed. This should be illegal.

Classical music for torture, that's a new one! Paul, what do you think about this?

Another kid's boss plays it in the break room!

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment