16 February 2013

Lydia's Q&A with Rosette and Anon-Gal

Since Lydia has been answering a lot of Hackbright questions as well, she thought it would be a great idea to post them in the same place. I agree!  Here are her answers to Rosette's questions:

1. How was it for you? when did you attend?
I attended from October 1st until December 7th. I only learned some HTML, CSS, and Javascript from attending 2 workshops. I played around on Codeacademy but I was not a professional. I learned A LOT in 10 weeks. I'm a commandline master, can read code, built a website, and know a lot about databases. I can talk about front end and back end technologies. The program is still run like a startup, sometimes I was frustrated that things were a bit unorganized, but I still think the experience was worth it. I wouldn't have learned without the push.
 
2. Did you find programming work straight out of Hackbright?
I'm interviewing now. I have two phone interviews scheduled for tomorrow. I got to meet 20 companies during the "speed dating" Career Day. [Since these answers, Lydia has started working at Rich Relevance!]

3. How much programming experience did you have before attending? 
    Those Girl Develop It workshops I attended on HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I highly recommend them.

Other helpful links:

Proving Your Worth as a Self-Taught Developer - 

            http://blog.pamelafox.org/2012/11/proving-your-worth-as-self-taught.html


 
And here is Lydia's answer to Anon-Gal's question:


Hi!!  I'm planning to apply to the next round of Hackbright. I'm hoping to get the scholarship because I doubt I can pull together $6k. Do you have any tips or thoughts on the program that you'd be willing to share with an applicant?

Thanks for reaching out to me. I think (like most good job opportunities) getting into Hackbright is a mix of personality, natural strengths, potential, and cultural fit.

You don't need to know anything about programming. That's fine. BUT you do need to show enthusiasm for technology and that you have motivation to learn new things and are very curious. You should be hyped to change the demographics of tech companies. You should want to get other women and minorities hyped as well. Make sure this comes across in your interview.

The program is fast-paced, so you can't be afraid of hard work and a little stress for 10 weeks. Let them know you're not afraid and you play well with others.

As far as personality, strengths, and fit: Well, the lead instructors have to be in the same room with you for (at least) 40 hours a week. They want to make sure you're friendly, you won't complain (too much! ;) ) and they might want to be friends with you after the program. There will be some pseudo coding in the interview. It's basically a brainteaser with variables. Nothing scary. The instructors are just trying to see if you like solving problems. They're testing you under pressure. Do you become a jerk when you're frustrated? (I'm sure you're not. I'm just sayin' . . .) The whole program is about loving the thrill of being a master puzzle solver. Make sure they know this is what motivates you.

As far as the scholarship: As soon as you interview, write out a thought-out, organized e-mail explaining your financial situation and why you feel you deserve the scholarship. Be very detailed and objective about it (don't beg or be overly emotional). The guys will consider it and respond accordingly.

GOOD LUCK!

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment