03 June 2009

Short Update From My Refuge in der Schweiz

I'll do a better post later, maybe. I've gotten a lot of work done on my thesis here in Hinwil. Three things are contributing to the process:

1. I don't have constant internet and I can truly use it to motivate myself.
2. I don't have to use my time to make or buy food. Daniela is way nice like that.
3. Knowing that everyone in the family is going to ask me every few hours how it's coming does wonders.

In other news, on June 1st I said, "Okay, this is the first day of the rest of my life without zit picking." Later that night, there were well-lit mirrors. Everywhere. I went on a binge. :( And, my lips are way, way chapped again, to the point that I play with them all day long. Will they never get over their love for Natural Ice?

I'm picking up some Swiss German. I think I went about the whole thing the wrong way. Being able to speak High German is an excuse for them to not speak Swiss German around me, so I have to do the same thing I did when I was new in Germany and ask repeatedly for Swiss German. I love it when they speak slowly for me--then I get most of it, rolled-together words, cutesy intonation, and ch-isch Ks and all. If they're talking to each other, I'll catch the gist of their subject at least. Oh, and I think it's darling that they say "tschüss," or "bye" when they go to bed.

Speaking of bed . . . Tschüss!

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment