30 May 2009

Wittenberg

Guess who finally got to see where Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses? Yours truly!

As a tradeoff for showing my friend David around Leipzig, we drove to Wittenberg, which is only an hour and maybe fifteen minutes away. Some day when I have some time, I'd like to read all of the theses and see how many I agree with. We learned from overhearing a tour guide that Martin Luther wasn't really the first to translate the Bible into German, he did the best job and he was also good at getting people riled up. I'm glad he did what he did.

Here are the bronzified theses:

Schlosskirche in Wittenberg, Germany


I paid one Euro to take pictures inside the church (I've still got that unorganized and unofficial collection of pictures of church organs). If any of you ever want to visit and go there with me, the man at the desk let me know that my receipt enabled me to take pictures for a whole year. Sweet.

Schlosskirche in Wittenberg, Germany


As you all know, I get excited by libraries, especially old ones. Too bad it was closed. I did peek through the keyhole, though.

Cool old library


And, back in Leipzig that afternoon, here is the classic picture from the top of the Völkerschlachtdenkmal:

On top of the Völkerschlachtdenkmal


Get your very own, personalized version when you come visit!

Have you ever seen the movie "Luther" or read the book by the same name? The movie made me so glad to be born into a generation that enjoys many of the results of people like Martin Luther.

1 comment: