05 September 2008

Cherry Pie

Last week on a date (you read that right, not "dare," and it was only a date because I talked him into it, I still haven't found normal dating in Germany), I made a pie, completely from scratch and without a pie pan. The filling turned out really well (though I think I'll use less sugar less time).

Recipe for the filling (put in non-Metric craziness just for you):

2 pounds sour cherries, pitted (910 g)
1 1/9 cups white sugar (225 g)
3.5 Tablespoons cornstarch (30 g)
1 Tablespoon butter (15 g)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (1 ml)

Preheat to 375 degrees F. Boil the cherries, sugar, and cornstarch (first mixed separately with some cherry juice so it won't clump). Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens. Add the butter and almond extract. Put it in your pie crust, top the pie, and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until golden brown.


0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment