13 October 2007

11th Woman Nobel Prize Lit Winner

Congratulations to Doris Lessing for being the 11th woman to receive the Nobel Prize for literature. I'd like to read some of her work some day. It probably won't happen until I have a bigger variety of English lit available. Anyway, I found an article about her quite interesting.

First she says, "I do not think writers ought ever to sit down and think they must write about some cause, or theme, or something," Lessing said. "If they write about their own experiences, something true is going to emerge."

Sounds good. I like that.

However, at the end of the article she mentions that her editor is having a hard time reading the second half of her newest novel, and she says, "Well, I hope so, because it's my intention to put people off war."

Wasn't that contradictory?

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment