21 February 2011

Excerpt from Pablo Neruda's "Because Love Battles"

"When Freckles Collide" by Casey O'Connell

And I in these lines say:
Like this I want you, love,
love, Like this I love you,
as you dress
and how your hair lifts up
and how your mouth smiles,
light as the water
of the spring upon the pure stones,
Like this I love you, beloved.

To find this love for myself, to find that someone who says these things to me and means them or thinks them about me in their own way and who I love back with my whole heart . . . that was my birthday wish to me last year. This year? I don't know. I still have a few days to decide, I suppose. Low expectations avoid disappointment, right?

1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, Michelle. I don't have any friends whose husbands say things like this to them. Maybe they think it, but real life kind of takes over and you get busy living it, and the love is there, stronger than ever usually, but sometimes the only indication you have that they love you is that they haven't left you yet. Does that sound terrible? What I mean is, that even though sometimes I'm just awful, I know my husband will always be there. That kind of romantic love ebbs and flows in a relationship. So maybe it isn't low expectations, just realistic ones. Good luck. And don't watch chick flicks! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete