09 November 2010

My Christmas Tree Paper Quilling

Remember when I posted about how I had discovered quilling and love it?

Well, I started trying it out last December, so I decided to do something Christmas-y. With Yulia Brodskaya's G2 Thrifty Christmas Tree as an inspiration, I included the words "Jesus is Born" using a large font that I traced on some paper. From there, I had no pattern. I just used toothpicks, glue, a paper cutter, colorful paper, scissors, and round things for curling. It took me almost a whole year to finish this thing (who knew quilling takes so long?), but I think it turned out beautifully, and after so much work, I just had to frame it! What do you think?

"Jesus is Born" Tree Quilling


Some details:

"Jesus is Born" Tree Details Quilling

"Jesus is Born" Tree Details Quilling 2


And the finished, framed work in all its glory (I had spacers put in to keep it from being smashed):

"Jesus is Born" Tree Quilling Framed


You can see it in person at my mom's holiday craft boutique (this Wednesday through Saturday, 11-8), where I'm selling mini Scherenschnitte cards and calendar envelopes. If you like my quilling, please leave a comment and/or tell your friends about it. Thanks. :)

19 comments:

  1. Michelle! This is beautiful! You need to teach me next time I'm up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never tried quilling! yours looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I'm imagining all sorts of things that I'd love to do once you teach me ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I think I'd like to commission some of your quilling to be art in my house. Let's talk about possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, wow. It's beautiful!

    P.S. I thought that I had totally missed your mom's craft boutique, but it looks like I haven't! I'm definitely coming by to take a look at your quilling in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is gorgeous. I've showed it off to dozens of people at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness. this is amazing. i need to learn this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW -- I've never heard the term quilling before, but this art form looks vaguely familiar, like something I might have seen a long, long time ago. I absolutely LOVE your Christmas Tree project. It's inspiring to see something so beautiful crafted from such simple materials -- and great things from humble origins are what Christmas is really all about, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the compliments, people. I'm glad you like it as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I'm sad I missed your mom's boutique. I love going to things like that! And I would have loved to see this stuff in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've looked through a few quilling books at my library and I've never seen quilling done like this! You can publish a how-to book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely! I like to quill also, and am amazed at Yulia's work and love seeing how many people she's inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your lovely comment on my blog :) Thanks! I think a class is really cool too; absolutely love the idea of quilling with friends. Will that be in the near future? I would love to check back and see how it goes. I've also been thinking of organising a date with my close girlfriends to teach them quilling since they've been asking how it's done and don't believe me when I say it's a pretty accessible art form. Your Christmas tree looks really hard to do though, maybe when you teach you'll have something easier but with the same style :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg!! i came across this book on papercrafts and it has yulia's stunning quilling art in it, and i remembered your quilling! like i said before, yours looks fantastic for a first-timer! i'm so inspired to make one of my own!!!

    p.s.: i especially love her hermes quilled (is that a word?) artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow .. Love how much effort you put into this ..The christmas tree turned out really great! ..

    ReplyDelete