17 April 2010

Eleanor Ross Taylor

Have you heard of Eleanor Ross Taylor? She is a really old lady (90) who's still writing poetry and winning awards for it.

from LATE LEISURE
Eleanor Ross Taylor


Diary Entry, March 24

Today

walked home tho cold

No coffee no Crackerjack no

books $200 cash 3.50 taxi

saved 5.69 coffee not spent

Wind blowing

hard Scarf tossing in my face

breathing fast the cold

A young man boy walking

like that boy in Ellerbe hands deep

in pockets shoulders twisting

mouth bitter

glittering eyes black-fringed into looking

Kiss-me-quick-I’m-off-goodbye tied

my scarf under my chin

Hurry

Just past the bridge wind threw

a foam hot dog carton onto

the walk ahead of me It landed

flat waddled along open a little casket

determined to get home first But

the wind lifted it again took it off I,

determined to get there before it

Waddle

as the wind blows, casket

A fling

of maple keys to street

That’s the way the money goes

Keys eyes bluegray Black-fringed

Don’t shiver little star

It’s not as cold as all that

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment