25 April 2007

"Then go to the moon, you selfish dreamer."

I just watched The Glass Menagerie, with Katharine Hepburn. Tennessee Williams did a good job writing, and the actors did a good job acting. I was curiously drawn to the mixture of hopes, expectations, disappointment, as well as the ways to escape it all: the movies, the music, the glass animals, the DAR . . .

Interesting. Look at the meanings of "menagerie."

me·nag·er·ie [muh-naj-uh-ree, -nazh-] -noun
1.a collection of wild or unusual animals, esp. for exhibition.
2.a place where they are kept or exhibited.
3.an unusual and varied group of people.
[Origin: 1705–15; < class="sc">ménage, -ery]

Don't worry, I'll save the essay forming in my head for my own personal enjoyment. But here are some favorite lines from the play:

"Blue is wrong for roses." "But it's good for you."
"Hold him over the light. He loves the light."
"He must feel kinda lonesome." "If he does, he doesn't complain about it."
"They all like a change of scenery once in a while."
"Now he's just like all the other horses." "Maybe it's a blessing in disguise."
"Glass breaks so easily, no matter how careful you are."
"Did anyone ever tell you you were pretty? Well you are, and in a different way from anyone else. And a whole lot nicer because of the difference."
"I know all about the tyranny of women."
"Then go to the moon, you selfish dreamer."

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment