13 April 2007

New Job

I was just offered a job for seven weeks (with a week-long break in the middle). It just fell into my lap. I'm quite excited, I start Monday. The only thing that's got me a bit scared is I have no idea what I'll be doing. I looked at the company's website, and I had no idea what it was talking about, so I looked up some of the stuff I read about in wikipedia, and this is what I found:

"Depending on its processing and thermal history, it may exist both as an amorphous (transparent) and as a semi-crystalline (opaque and white) material. Its monomer can be synthesized by the esterification reaction between terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol with water as a byproduct or the transesterification reaction between ethylene glycol and dimethyl terephthalate with methanol as a byproduct. Polymerization is through a polycondensation reaction of the monomers (done immediately after esterification/transesterification) with ethylene glycol as the byproduct (the ethylene glycol is recycled in production)."

Whoa. This making process of PET is in a different language completely. I do understand what a membrane switch is now, though. Pretty nifty. That's what we've got on our new oven. Sometimes they have tactile snaps and sometimes they don't. (I can imagine older customers wanting the feel that the button has been pushed.)

0 comments. I love comments!:

Post a Comment