06 July 2009

Take Off Your Pants and Jacket Shoes

When I finally got an MRI on my knee two weeks ago (five months after the original injury, and after injuring my ankle as a result of a weak knee), I was told to take off my pants and shoes and left to undress. Unlike with the CT scan I had last fall, I didn't receive any kind of robe. (Note 1: I've come a long way since the days where I cried about undressing for a doctor. Note 2: How weird is that, that they let you undress as if the process should be private but the results don't matter.)

So there I stood, pantless, talking to the technician. While she explained a few things and had me sign a form, I thought, "How weird is this, that we're talking normally, as if nothing were abnormal about the fact that I'm standing here without any pants on."












I finally decided to do something more since my knee gets tired from being in one position for two long, it doesn't like to be jarred (I hold it in the air when I ride my bike over cobblestones), and I cannot leg my leg dangle over chairs (yes I'm short) so I have to put a box on the floor to support it.

The results of the MRI? My orthopedic surgeon, who also happens to be the husband of my favorite student, who also happens to live across the street, said that the meniscus looks "unquiet," but not surgery-worthy. I got a nice paper instructing a physical therapist how to help me and was told not to play football for a while.

Sica, I think I'm still up for that hike if you're up to wrapping my knee with your mad sports injuries skills.

4 comments:

  1. "We're talking normally, as if nothing were abnormal about the fact that I'm standing here without any pants on."

    Maybe the best thing I've read on the internet, ever,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wonder why people even wore pants. I understand underwear but pants aren't necessary. ;)

    Oh and Scott is friends with Joanna. That's probably how you know her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the "unquiet" knee. That's not fun.

    Doctor's visits get even more weird when they're trying to carry on a normal conversation with you while checking your cervix.

    ReplyDelete