01 May 2007


In Tom Wolfe's Jefferson lecture, "The Human Beast," he said someone told him, "Intellectuals are people who are knowledgeable in one area and speak out in others."

What do you call people who are not yet knowledgeable (as in PhD-ed) in one area but still speak out in every area possible?

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny, I was just thinking about the term "intellectual" yesterday. Although I'm not sure I agree with Tom Woolf's definition - although it is a pleasing epigram.